The U.N. food agency has reached an “agreement in principle” to restore full food aid to rebel-controlled parts of war-torn Yemen after suspending the aid last month, the agency’s director said Thursday.
World Food Program Executive Director David Beasley told the Security Council he got word of the as-yet-unsigned agreement even as he spoke to the group at a previous meeting. He didn’t detail provisions of the potential pact.
“But a lot of progress has been made,” he said.
If the agreement is inked, the WFP is ready to get food back to Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, “within days” of the signing, Beasley said.
The partial suspension of aid to Sanaa began late last month amid accusations the rebels were diverting the food from the hungriest people in a country that has been pushed to the brink of starvation.
Source: Associated Press