A child was killed on Tuesday in Yemen’s central province of Al Bayda in indiscriminate shelling launched by the Iran-linked Houthi militia, local sources said.
According to the sources, 13-year-old Ayah Zaid Alsarari died of her wounds when the Houthi rebels targeted her village with artillery shelling.
Residents of Khubza village say they could not move the child to a hospital to save her life because their village has been besieged by the Houthis for over a week.
This comes amid attempts by the United Nations to get the warring parties to agree to a six-month truce extension, which expires on August 2.
Aurora Humanitarian 2019 winning prize Huda Alsarari, who is a lawyer and human rights activist, called on the Office of UN Special Envoy for Yemen to condemn the Houthis for breaching the UN-led truce.
ندعوا الدول الراعية لعملية السلام في #اليمن والمبعوث الاممي @OSE_Yemen ومجلس الامن ادانة خرق الهدنة من قبل الحوثيين والتوقف عن مهاجمة القرى والمناطق واخرها #خبزه_قيفة_رداع بمحافظة البيضاء.
تساهل المجتمع الدولي اصبح دعوة للحوثيين لاراقة المزيد من دماء اليمنيين وفرض الحصار عليهم . pic.twitter.com/WisnNLEJcP
— هدى الصراري Huda Al-Sarari (@h_alsarare) July 20, 2022
“The international community being lenient with the Houthis encourages them to shed more blood of Yemenis,” said Alsarari.
Reports say three people have been killed and 6 others wounded in the besieged village of Khubza, which has been under shelling and bombardment since last week.