The Saudi-led coalition announced cessation of military operations in Yemen starting Wednesday during the holy month of Ramadan to help create a positive atmosphere for Yemeni consultations in Riyadh, Saudi state news agency reported.
The Coalition’s statement came hours after GCC Secretary-General Dr. Nayef Al-Hajraf called for a cessation of military operations coinciding with the Yemeni-Yemeni peace talks being held in Saudi Arabia
“In response to the request made by Secretary General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Dr Nayef Al-Hajraf for a cessation of military operations in conjunction with the launch of the Yemeni consultations,” spokesperson of the Saudi-led coalition said in a statement.
“The decision has been taken with the view of creating propitious conditions needed for successful consultations and a favorable environment for the Holy Month of Ramadan to make peace, and achieve security and stability in Yemen,” Brigadier General Turki Al-Malki added.
Earlier this month, the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) announced hosting Yemeni-Yemeni consultations to discuss an end to the seven-year conflict.
Al-Malki explained that the Joint Forces Command of the Coalition will abide by the ceasefire and will take all steps and measures to make it successful, reaffirming the coalition’s steadfast position in supporting the legitimate government of Yemen.
“The Joint Forces Command of the Coalition will always stand by the Yemeni people’s side to fulfill their aspirations, build their nation and achieve their security and prosperity,” said Al-Malki.