The Saudi-led coalition announced on Friday the extension of a unilateral ceasefire in Yemen by one month, calling on the Iran-backed Houthis to halt hostilities on the ground and help curb a novel coronavirus outbreak.
The state-run Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported the ceasefire, citing the spokesperson of the coalition, Turki al-Maliki.
“There is still a chance to exert efforts to reach a comprehensive and ever-lasting ceasefire in Yemen,” al-Maliki said.
Earlier this month, the Saudi-led coalition announced a one-week truce to which the Houthi rebels did not agree.
Army commanders in the internationally recognized government said the announced truce was seen as a chance for the militias to mount attacks on government forces in Al-Jawf, Marib, Al-Bayadh, Taiz, and other front lines.