In the aftermath of attacks that targeted Saudi oil facilities, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Monday that weekend attacks were an act of self-defense by their allies, Houthi rebels.
“Yemen is the target of daily bombings… The people of Yemen have been forced to respond, they are only defending themselves,” Rouhani told a news conference in Ankara, alongside the leaders of Russia and Turkey.
Meanwhile, the Saudi-led coalition said the attacks were not launched from Yemen, implying they were carried out by Iran.
The Coalition spokesperson Col. Turki Al-Maliki said that an investigation into Saturday’s strikes, which had been claimed by the Iran-aligned Houthi group, was still going on to determine the launch location. The drones used in the attack were of the Ababil make, a low-technology drone, the spokesperson added.
“The investigation is continuing and all indications are that weapons used in both attacks came from Iran,” Al-Maliki told reporters, adding they were now probing “from where they were fired.”
Saudi oil facilities have been targeted by drones as Iran-backed Houthis repeatedly claim responsibility for the attacks, a theory that is not logical in terms of the recent attacks considering the Houthis capabilities of launching such drones.