The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has been requested by its Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to approve the deployment of up to 75 observers to the port city of Hodeidah for six months to monitor a ceasefire and redeployment of forces by the warring parties.
As for this, the 15-member U.N. Security Council will need to take action on Guterres’ request by about Jan. 20, when a 30-day authorization for an advance monitoring team led by retired Dutch General Patrick Cammaert expires.
The Security Council had asked Guterres to recommend – by the end of last month – a larger monitoring team. Diplomats said Britain was working on a draft resolution to approve Guterres’ proposal, but had not yet circulated it to council members.
In his proposal to the council on Dec 31, which was seen by Reuters, Guterres described the proposed 75-strong team as “a nimble presence” to monitor compliance of the deal and establish and assess facts and conditions on the ground.
“Appropriate resources and assets will also be required to ensure the safety and security of U.N. personnel, including armoured vehicles, communications infrastructure, aircraft and appropriate medical support,” Guterres wrote.
“Such resources will be a pre-requisite for the effective launch and sustainment of the proposed mission,” he said.
A United Nations Security Council resolution unanimously adopted last month to approve the advance monitoring team was only agreed after days of wrangling that unusually pitted the United States against ally Britain.
The General Secretary said the larger monitoring mission would contribute to sustaining a “fragile political process” re-launched by U.N. Yemen envoy Martin Griffiths. Griffiths is aiming to convene another round of talks between the warring parties this month.