Local NewsNews

Millions of Yemenis are One Step from Actual Starvation: UN

Nor thousands, neither hundreds of thousands, but Millions of people in the most impoverished Arab Country “Yemen” are currently one step from actual starvation while international and local relief organizations struggle to reach affected and needy people.

The Iran-supported Houthi militia is accused of blocking vital relief assistance from reaching affected and needy people in many areas as the Yemen is currently facing one the worst humanitarian crises in the world, according to Hamza Al Kamali, a member of the legitimate government delegation to Geneva, told international media outs.

“The militia authority is using a policy of deliberate starvation and coercion in areas such as Taiz and the port city of Hodeidad. This is the underlining problem of the catastrophe,” Mr Al Kamali said.

The government official said that the militia is not providing any services to the public in areas that are under their control. Instead, they are pressuring the international community and the Arab Coalition to become a legitimate faction in the government.

The Houthi-controlled areas that have not been liberated by the pro government forces are still a sticking point in the crisis, according to government official.

The United Nations warned on Wednesday that Yemen is facing “the world’s worst hunger crisis, with almost 18 million people throughout the country not known where their next meal is coming from”.

“More than 8 million people are already considered to be on the brink of famine in Yemen,” World Food Programme (WFP) spokesman Herve Verhoosel said, adding that the situation was being exacerbated by sky-rocketing food prices, which have soared by a third in the past year alone.

If the situation continues, there will be an additional 3.5 million Yemenis, or nearly 12 million, that will require urgent food assistance, Mr Verhoosel warned.

However, due to the dire security situation on the ground, the UN agency may not be able to increase its activities in the country to provide emergency care to the country’s hungriest people. “We need an end to the fighting,” he said.

It comes as Yemen’s local currency has been deteriorating, increasing the price of food and fuel and fueling fears of a catastrophic humanitarian crisis.

One of the biggest challenges to humanitarian work in Yemen is the highly volatile security situation and access to those most in need, spokeswoman of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Jessica El Zarif told The National.

“The impact of the conflict on medical facilities and essential infrastructure is worsening the humanitarian consequences for Yemenis. Only 45 per cent of health facilities in Yemen are functioning,” Ms El Zarif said.

ICRC has reported cases of all kinds of preventable diseases re-emerging including cholera, meningitis, measles and diphtheria are yet another reminder of the incapacity of Yemen’s health system to cope with ever increasing needs.

“Civilians must not pay the price of conflict, any loss of life, further fuels the conflict and generates more suffering and grief,” Ms El Zarif said.

Earlier this month, the UN children’s agency (Unicef) suspended cash transfers to nine million citizens, citing pressures from the Houthi militias.

UNICEF said the decision came after it was unable to set up a call centre to get feedback from beneficiaries, without providing further details.

Meanwhile, on Thursday, the Emirates Red Crescent (ERC) said it has sent a relief convoy consisting of 1,500 food baskets and five tonnes of food supplements for children of the Al Azariq district in Dhale Governorate.

The ERC is expected to provide more than Dh107 million to help rebuild roads, schools and hospitals on the west coast of Yemen.

The area, which runs from Bab Al Mandeb to Hodeidah, has been largely liberated from Houthi militia control following a ground offensive by the Arab Coalition which began in June.

The Saudi-led Arab Coalition along with the legitimate government of Yemen are carrying out “genuine” and “real” humanitarian assistance to civilians, Mr Al Kamali said.

Hamza Al Kamali revealed development plans to establish humanitarian centers around the country in order to prevent the Houthis from controlling and using them for economic means.

The conflict in Arab’s most impoverished country (Yemen), which began when the Iran-backed rebels seized Sanaa, the capital, in September 2014, has left 22 million people — about 75 per cent of the population — in need of assistance, according to the UN.

Tags
Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Close